Thursday, October 4, 2012

Chicken Soup for the Soul and the Sick




There wasn't a What's in the Box Wednesday this week because I've been sick. :(  The kiddos ate school food yesterday, which they like to do occasionally anyway.  Especially Addie, since there are so many more choices at Middle school with the salad bar and extra food line.  I'd felt something coming on for several days.  I don't suffer from allergies usually, so I'm not sure what's going on.  I'm thinking maybe the Flu Mist got me??  I usually get the shot, but my Dr. talked me into the mist a couple of weeks ago at my well check.  Yesterday was the worst.  Today I'm feeling a little better.  On Tuesday, I ran out of Puffs, and I had to drag myself to the store anyway, so I picked up a Rotisserie chicken to make some semi-scratch chicken soup.  I kinda just threw a bunch of stuff together on this one (you'll be proud Mom), and I thought it turned out pretty good.  I had some homemade chicken stock in the freezer that I used for part of the liquid.  It was a very rich, dark stock, so making the rest up with water worked just fine.  If you use store-bought stock or broth, you might use more.  The seasoning amounts are a guideline.  You can season to taste.

Semi-Scratch Chicken Soup

1 rotisserie chicken
2 cups chicken stock
14 cups water
4 small red potatoes, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
8 oz whole wheat macaroni, or whatever rice or pasta you like, this is what I had in the pantry
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp Emeril's Original Essence
2 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp black pepper

Skin the chicken, set aside the wings and legs.  Dice up the rest of the meat. The girls wanted to eat the legs separately.  Put the stock, water, wings, and skin in a large stockpot and bring to a boil.  Add  the vegetables, meat,  bay leaves, thyme, and Emeril's seasoning.  Simmer at least 30 minutes.  I started mine around 2:45 and just left it simmering on the stove until dinnertime.  About 20 minutes before you're ready to eat, remove the wings, skin, and bay leaves.  Add the macaroni and cook until done.  Then season to taste with the salt and pepper.  We enjoyed it with crusty bread and butter.

And here's just a random picture I'm throwing in because I thought Addie looked so cute. She's standing just inside my office door.  She gets home from school earlier than Caroline and she usually comes straight to my office to give me a run-down of the days events.  Good and bad.  Sometimes barely taking a breath! I have to really pay attention.  I'm glad she likes to tell me what's going on. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment