Monday, October 22, 2012

Blood Orange Brownies and Branson

  

Blood Orange Brownies.  Does that sound good?  It sure did to me when I heard the idea on a Twitter chat a few weeks ago from Devo Olive Oil. They tweeted a link to a recipe for Blood Orange Brownies using Blood Orange Olive Oil from their store.  I was intrigued, so I googled them and lo and behold they're in Branson at Branson Landing!  We had a little weekend trip planned there anyway, so we stopped in.  Wowza, was I overwhelmed with all of the oil and vinegar choices.

 
Addie samples Black Currant Balsamic Vinegar
We had a good time sampling the different varieties.  And the sales clerk was very helpful with ideas of mixing different flavors for marinating options.  I took home a bottle of the Blood Orange Olive Oil and whipped up some brownies today.  I decided to use my Mom's tried and true recipe and just substitute some of the oil.  Now, these are the brownies I grew up with and still make.  Actually, Addie is the brownie maker in the house now.  It's a recipe easy enough for a 10 year old to do without any intervention from Mom.  The original recipe is so, so good, but with the addition of this Olive Oil.....Oh My.....   Next time you're in Branson, stop in at Devo.

Blood Orange Brownies 

2 cups sugar
10 Tbsp cocoa
1 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 cup Blood Orange Olive Oil & 1/2 cup canola oil)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Mix sugar and cocoa together, add oil and eggs.  Beat smooth by hand.  Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.  Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes.  Do not over bake.

Here are some more pictures from our little trip.  I took my Kindle so I could try and get my book club book read, but I never even picked it up.  My eyes were looking out the window the whole time.  The leaves were so beautiful.

Our main destination was Silver Dollar City, so that's where we spent most of our time.  I just love their Harvest Festival decorations.

 I'm not sure who's kid this is that wants to ride these crazy thrill rides.

Addie on the Electro Spin
Caroline and I on the swings while Addie was off thrill-seeking

We had a great time, ate some yummy food (love the skillet meals!), and the weather was perfect.  On the way home we stopped at a roadside produce stand and bought these lovely Arkansas Black Apples.



These are supposed to be good for eating, cooking, and baking and have a long storage life.  In fact, the produce guy told me if I keep them cool, they'll probably last until April or May!  I'm thinking they'll get cooked, canned, or eaten before then.  Addie wants me to make applesauce and I'm brainstorming other ideas as well.  If anyone dares to comment on my blog, please give me your ideas and suggestions for these beauties.

2 comments:

  1. Christy, I love reading your blog! Your recipes and kids lunches inspire me to make better food choices for my kids :) Keep posting more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary! It's a fun hobby, and it keeps me on my toes making sure the lunches are good! Ha!

      Delete