Friday, October 19, 2012

Baked Potato Soup

Mike has been out of town on business all week, so I wanted to have a home cooked meal for him when he gets back tonight.  He's generally a healthy eater and always says he'd much rather eat at home than at a restaurant, so a solid week of eating out is not something he enjoys.  He may not be hungry, but it will be here just in case.  I don't remember where I got this recipe.  I've been making it for at least 11 or 12 years, because I remember sharing it with my co-workers when I worked full time before kids.  There's a restaurant in Tulsa called Charleston's that has the best Baked Potato Soup.  I remember wanting to try and make something similar at home and this is what I found.  Normally, I serve the Bisquick Red Lobster style cheddar garlic biscuits with this soup.  I didn't have Bisquick, so I used this recipe instead and I think I like them better.

Baked Potato Soup

4 large baking potatoes
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper (don't substitute black pepper, the white really makes this recipe)
4 green onions, chopped and divided
12 sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used turkey)
1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
8 oz sour cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Wash potatoes and prick several times with a fork; bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until done.  Let cool.  Cut potatoes in half, lengthwise; scoop out pulp and set aside.  Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.  Cook one minute, stirring constantly.  Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and is bubbly. Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, two tbls green onions, 1/2 cup bacon, and 1 cup cheese.  Cook until thoroughly heated and stir in sour cream.  Add extra milk, if necessary, for desired consistency.  Serve with remaining green onions, bacon, and cheese sprinkled on top of individual servings.  Serves 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment