Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What's in the box Wednesday

Addie's lunch had homemade hummus (store-bought works also), baked pita chips, strawberries, mini sweet pickles, and a cheese stick.  I like this Hummus recipe I adapted from Bob Harper's The Skinny Rules book because it contains no oil.  He has a lot of good tips and recipes in his book.  Find it here.

Hummus

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
15 oz can low-sodium Garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 clove garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth

Just put all these ingredients in your blender or food processor and whirl away.  So easy!

Caroline's box is basically the same except she has fat-free refried beans instead of Hummus and no pickles.  She has a separate snack time, which I send in her backpack, and Addie doesn't, plus she's a smaller kid, so sometimes I don't send her as much food.  Yes, my kids eat beans.  We've tried to make a habit of not serving them separate "kid-friendly" meals.  We've always offered them a variety of foods so we don't end up with picky eaters.  I will say that Addie will eat more things than Caroline, but hopefully she'll get there one day.  This is the first time I've tried refried beans in the lunchbox, so we'll see if she'll eat them cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment